For those of you who like to take the time to eat healthy foods in the right amounts and proportions, supplementing in zinc might not prove necessary. You can get your necessary requirements in zinc very easily through natural foods and if you have the time and motivation I advise you to do so. On top of that, natural consumption of zinc through food sources helps you avoid some potential side effects related to zinc.
The most common natural sources of zinc
- Red meat and white meat : lamb, pork and beef are good sources. Zinc is high in most red meats, so this list is very exhaustive. Although very abundant in this mineral, red meat should not be your only dietary source of Zn because you may lack in other nutrients by doing so. Note that 100g of red meat contains normaly around 5 mg of zinc.
- Poultry : A good alternative to red meat is poultry. Although less concentrated in this essential trace mineral, chicken still contains up to 2 mg of Zn per 100g.
- Seafood : Oysters, crab, lobster, shrimp, sole, cod, tuna are reasonable sources as well. Oyster containing the most obviously.
- Eggs : another decent source of Zn. Contains 1.5 mg per 100 grams.
- Dairy : Yogurt, cheese and milk are decent alternatives and good sources of that mineral for you vegetarians out there.
- Seeds : sesame seeds, watermelon seeds, pecans, pumpkin seeds represent decent sources for you vegans out there.
Agricultural soils can be depleted in zinc and that can affect the concentration of this metal in meat and vegetable sources. To maximize the amount of Zn you ingest from good make sure your meat comes from free-range organic fed animals. Not only will they provided increased zinc levels but organic free-range meat is always healthier due to their higher omega-3 concentration and lower amounts of residual exogenous hormone. That being said I do realize the cost of such a diet but you have to make sacrifices in order to eat healthy. If going 100% environmental is too expensive for you it’s all good but you’re at a risk of zinc deficiency and might want to look into zinc supplementing. Also read on how your body can leak zinc and the right dosage of zinc.
Typical Foods that are very high in zinc
- Wheat Germ
- Calf Liver
- Oat bran
- Roasted beef
- Roasted pumpkin seed
- Dark Chocolate
Don’t wanna plan a strict diet but want to benefit from the positive effects of zinc ? Just remember this : Cut the nutrient empty food ! Fries, white bread, potato chips, soda pop, candy, non-dark chocolate, white pasta, etc. These are highly caloric food that will fill you up pretty good but contain almost no minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and essential fats. Instead eat red and white meat, poultry, seafood (that doesn’t contain mercury), eggs, dairy (if not intelorant) and the occasional nuts and seeds. That should provide you with all the zinc your body requires, as with a ton of other essential nutrients. Happy eating !